Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Going Grey

I remember the day I found my first grey hair. It was two days before my 21st birthday. I was shopping to find an outfit to go out with my friends for the big day and the light in the dressing room caught the glimmer of grey shining out in the rest of my dark brown head. I pulled it out and told no one.
Fast forward five years through a wedding, years of unbelievable stress, and the birth of two children and suddenly one morning there were two. They were just there. Taunting me from the very top of my head like beacons of a coming storm. I pulled them and told everyone.

For years after that I colored my hair. It went through a myriad of shades of brown and red. I considered blonde but I always chickened out and couldnt commit to it. With hair as dark as mine it would require lots of bleaching and upkeep that I dont have the time or money for.

The last 3 years my hair has reverted to its natural color. I started with dying it back as close as I could get it to my natural color and let it grow from there. I've cut the ends off and let it grow its self back to the dark, chestnut brown I was born with.


Now, the grey has reached the stage where its no longer "pullable". If I pulled all the grey on my head right now I would look rather odd to put it lightly. It seems like it has gathered mostly around the tops of my ears with scattered loners appearing occasionally on the top of my head. 

So now I am faced with the quandary that most women in their 30s deal with. To dye or not to dye? Do I repeat the process of dying my hair every month only to have to eventually let it revert to its natural state eventually anyway? Or just make peace with the aging process and let it take over? Odds are good natural will win out. At least for the time being. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Mama some comment love! I always try to pay a visit back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover