Thursday, September 13, 2012

Ginger Sesame Salmon

This is one of those recipes that you read and think "meh" but in all reality this is one of the most addictive sauces I have ever had. Its sweet but has that unmistakable ginger spice finish that I just can't seem to get enough of in general.  I am not going to lie, its all about the glaze here. I tend to like it best on salmon but it can also be used on pork or chicken just as easily. Its also really good just drizzled over some steamed rice with veggies if you prefer a meat free dinner.

I do usually make the sauce and marinate the meat during nap time and then cook it right before we eat it. If you are using salmon, be sure you don't let it dry out. Fully cooked salmon should be pink and opaque all the way through and should easily flake with a fork. There is a very fine line though between done salmon and dry salmon so I tend to remove it from the oven just before it gets pink all the way through, cover it with foil and let it finish cooking on the pan.


Sesame Ginger Salmon
1 1/2 lbs salmon
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp sesame oil
2 tbsp rice vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp soy sauce (I have also used Dale's with good results)
2 garlic cloves (I use the jarred kind)
2 tbsp freshly grated ginger
1-2 tbsp sesame seeds

Combine all of the above ingredients in a ziploc bag and gently roll to coat the salmon really well all over. Put the bag in the refrigerator to marinate the salmon. I tend to go in and roll the bag a few times if I get the chance just to make sure everything stays mixed. While this is marinating, mix the glaze (below).

You can choose to grill this or broil it in your oven. Grilling fish is tricky because it falls apart but broiling is hard because it dries out the fish quicker. Pick your poison. I usually broil it because it really ticks me off when I lose a salmon fillet in the grill grates. If you do grill, I suggest you invest in a grill topper to keep that from happening. If you choose to broil, use a broiling pan or wire rack on a cookie sheet for the best result.


Sweet Sesame Ginger Glaze
1/4 cup honey
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
2 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp freshly grated ginger
1-2 tsp toasted sesame seeds

Whisk together and drizzle over cooked salmon/ rice/ veggies/ whatever you want.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Mama some comment love! I always try to pay a visit back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover