Friday, June 22, 2012

Disney - Pixar "Brave" Hits Theaters Today! (Review)


You've been hearing about Disney's newest big summer movie for awhile now, right? That means you are either bursting with excitement on checking it out with (or without) your little ones as soon as you can get some tickets in your hot little hands. I know I have been itching to see it since the first trailer came out and have been following it like a hawk ever since. I am not usually one to seek out and follow kids movies but something about Brave caught my attention and held me in. I was lucky and got to experience Brave early. Its okay, be jealous. No really, be jealous because Disney's newest is just.. amazing.

The story of Merida is nothing like any other animated film I have ever seen. This is not your typcial, musical damsel in distress type thing. “Brave” follows the heroic journey of Merida, a skilled archer and headstrong daughter of King Fergus (voice of Billy Connolly) and Queen Elinor (voice of Emma Thompson). It takes the princess type movie to a whole new level. The story of Merida and her fight to take charge of her fate by defying an age-old custom sacred to the unruly and uproarious lords of the land: massive Lord MacGuffin (voice of Kevin McKidd), surly Lord Macintosh (voice of Craig Ferguson) and cantankerous Lord Dingwall (voice of Robbie Coltrane) through any means possible. Merida inadvertently unleashes chaos, forcing her to discover the meaning of true bravery before it’s too late. It left me inspired and feeling oddly confident about some of the challenges I am facing. Strong and bullheaded but all in all, she has a good heart. Brave is about finding the balance between the two of them and making them work for you, not against you.

I took my mother to the preview and let me tell you, there wasn't a tissue between us by the time the movie came to an end. We laughed and cried pretty much the entire time. It was a perfect mother daughter film but it is also action packed enough that even the most discerning man in your life is sure to have a grand time. Lets just say it struck a chord with us. The strongwilled, tom boy daughter and the prim and proper, tradition hawk mother? Yeah, familiar to say the least. Plus, having spent some time in Scotland, we got a lot of the hidden jokes that pop up and the animation makes for a stunning rendering of the beautiful Scottish countryside. 


I'll admit though, some of the scenes are quite intense. While there isn't any gorey type violence, Merida and her mother get into some dark, villain type trouble. Think Maleficent kind of scary. Dark and evil that has been somewhat missing from the last few big Disney films. I am not sure that D would like it and I know that it would scare K. Just something to keep in mind if your younger ones are sensitive or prone to being scared. 


All in all, I have to say, this movie certainly did not disappoint. Start to finish it was a rollicking, powerfully good time. Safe to say it has made onto my favorite kids movies after having only seen it once. Which is huge. Its the kind of movie that I can see watching over and over again, catching something different every time. Its rich. Rich in detail, rich in plot, rich in soul. Perfect. 






Ready to pick up some tickets? Get them while they're hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Mama some comment love! I always try to pay a visit back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover