Thursday, January 26, 2012

Crock Pot Classics: Curried Chicken

Ok, so far I have shared my favorite Mexican dish (Mexican Chili Chicken) and my favorite Italian dish (Italian Sausage and Rice). Now its time to try something a little more Far Eastern. I was never a huge fan of curry until a few years ago when my sister got me hooked on her Japanese Katsu Curry and it was all downhill from there. Curry makes everything better.

The combo of curry and ginger in this recipe is also good for your digestive tract. Either one on their own is good for you but together they pack a more potent punch. Ginger also has an amazing natural anti-inflammatory properties so this is the perfect cold/ flu season comfort food.

This is a pretty mildly curried dish so its good for people that are just getting into it or don't think they like curry. My kids both love it too but occasionally they won't eat it if I got it too spicy so be careful of that if your kids are sensitive to heat.

The only other real tip I would give on this is to make sure and use fresh grated ginger. Like, fresh off the grater. Otherwise the ginger flavor gets lost in the tomato flavor and its just not the same.

Oh, and be sure to read the instructions all the way through before you jump in and start your prep. Ready?


Pin It




















Here is what you'll need for this:

  • 1 lb Boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces (You can use thighs too but they need to be boneless)
  • 1 1/2c chopped onions
  • 1c chopped bell peppers (I use my frozen mix of red, green and yellow but you can just use whatever you have)
  • 1c Salsa (medium hot is suggested but I always use mild because of the kids)
  • 2 tsp Fresh grated ginger 
  • 1/2 tsp Garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp Red pepper flakes
  • 1/4c Fresh chopped cilantro
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • Salt to taste (I use about 3/4 tsp)
Ok, go ahead a layer your onions, peppers, and chicken in the bottom of your pot in that order (your vegetables should always go in the bottom of your Crock Pot for the best flavor). Set it aside while you mix together the salsa, ginger, garlic powder and red pepper flakes in a bowl. Make sure you mix it up really good and cover the top of the chicken with the mix, doing your best to cover all the pieces. Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours. The higher you cook it, the more the chicken will stay together. I like mine to fall apart a little so I go the low route.

Pin It

Mix together the cilantro, salt, curry powder and sugar in a small bowl. I usually do this in a sandwich baggie and then stick it in the fridge but you can wait until you need it to mix it up.

After the right amount of time and the chicken is cooked through, add the cilantro mix to the pot and turn it up to high heat. If you want your sauce to be a little thicker, you can add a little flour with the cilantro mix. Maybe a tablespoon or two. Let it simmer for about 15- 20 minutes and serve with rice or flat bread.

Enjoy it. Awesome.

Like this recipe? 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Mama some comment love! I always try to pay a visit back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover