Monday, March 25, 2013

Running Time

Amen.
The training has officially begun. Well, technically it started a few weeks ago but who's counting. The Dirty Girl Mud Run is coming up way faster than I expected it to for sure which means its time to put my money where my mouth is and get down to business.

The goal on the 2013 list was to be able to run 5k. I am not so sure that is going to happen this go around. I am pounding it out and training my booty off but I am also having some unexpected issues with my ankles.

Still, the first step was to get myself into good enough shape to even attempt to run again. I have lost some weight sure but that doesn't mean you just up and run further than the mailbox and back. So, I have been doing some heavy lifting at the gym under the guidance of a trainer and slowly but surely, I am getting those trim muscles back. I guess there really is something to memory muscle after all.

This past week I have done my first stints on the treadmill doing some interval running. Think couch to 5k on a much different scale. I was never a distance runner. I was a sprinter. So, I can do the quick parts quickly but then I am worn out. Instead I am trying to build up the longer stretches of endurance in my lungs and my legs that will be required for distance running. Not as easy as it sounds. Turns out that while muscle memory can be good, it can also be a real pain in the butt. Its like starting from scratch with legs that want to GO and then STOP and then be DONE.

Still, progress is progress and its being made, albeit slowly. I am kind of hoping that since the Dirty Girl is an obstacle race it will be a little easier on my "style". Run a little, climb a little, run a little, crawl in the mud a little.

Have I mentioned how excited I am about this race?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Mama some comment love! I always try to pay a visit back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover