Friday, September 21, 2012

Drinkable Fall Potpourri and Other Fall Scents

Tomorrow brings the Autumn Equinox! The official start of Fall for those of us who don't see a change in the weather like some lucky people. I got excited about the fall season about a month ago and it has just built and built and now I am ready to explode Fall all over everything. That sounded less weird in my head.

Anyway, since Fall is here, its time to start bringing my favorite fall scents and treats come to life. I wrote about the Pumpkin Butter yesterday but these are more the sumptuous scents. I just adore the smell of cinnamon and pumpkin. Its sweet and crisp and screams my favorite season. The first one is of course my favorite. Drinkable Potpourri, Call is Spiced Cider if you must but it serve a wonderful double duty as both yummy treat and making your house smell like a Fall wonderland.

Drinkable Potpourri
Enough apple cider to fill a big pot (a crock pot works too!)
One organic apple, cut into about 1/2-inch thick slices (organic apples actually do give the best flavor).
One orange, rind and all, cut into slices about 1/2-inch thick
3-4 whole cinnamon sticks
6-8 whole cloves
6-7 whole allspice berries (you should be able to get these anywhere but I had trouble this year).

Place all ingredients in your pot and heat. For best taste, bring to a simmer uncovered and let it reduce a little to your taste preference.  As it reduces, you can also add more apple cider to keep the smell alive and to keep the supply coming. I like to drinking with a cinnamon stick in the mug for that extra cinnamon kick but its totally optional.

Now of course I already mentioned that I love the taste and smell of cinnamon so this next one is a total no brainer. If you are like me and like the spicy sweet smell and taste of those little round cinnamon candies, this one is for you. Of course it also makes your house smell like one of those cinnamon brooms you see outside the grocery store about this time every year. Win, win.

Cinnamon Apple Cider
Enough apple cider to fill a big pot
About a 1/4 cup crushed Cinnamon Candies

Put everything into your pot and simmer while stirring until all of the candies are melted. Turn off the heat and serve it warm! You can also totally do this by the mug in the microwave but you don't get the whole house smell.
The last one smells like heaven but it is not edible. I mean I guess you could but its not going to taste good. Fair warning. It does smell more like a typical Fall candle or store bought potpurri to me. Its a good, quick one though and its stuff you most likely already have in your pantry.
Orange Cinnamon Simmer (Don't eat this one!)
Orange Peels

Cinnamon Sticks (or ground)
Whole Cloves (or ground)
Dash of Vanilla Extract
Water

Put all those things in a pot and simmer, adding watter as needed to keep it going. Don't let it boil dry.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave Mama some comment love! I always try to pay a visit back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover