Thursday, June 24, 2010

Babies Don't Keep


Mother, O Mother, come shake out your cloth,

Empty the dustpan, poison the moth,

Hang out the washing, make up the bed

Sew on a button and butter the bread.

Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?

She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown as shiftless as Little Boy Blue,

Lullabye, rockabye, lullabye loo.

Dishes are waiting and bills are past due

Pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo

The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew

And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo

But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo

Look! Aren't his eyes the most wonderful hue?

Lullabye, rockaby lullabye loo.

The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow

But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.

So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!

I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

-Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

A friend of mine posted an excerpt from this poem on her Facebook today and it really sank in. I memorized this poem when D was still in my belly and promised myself I would keep it in mind as he grew.

The problem is, life just keeps happening doesn't it? It's relentless and pushy. It keeps trying to force me away from my little Roos. Or at least it tries. Thing is, the more it tries, the more I resist.

I posted awhile back with my domestication issues. Thing is, I think somewhere, back in my mind, this poem holds me back from the dust and the cobwebs to do what I love most in life. To snuggle and play and kiss and wrestle and rock and rhyme with the two most incredible little boys on the planet. The rest can wait. I don't need a perfect house, I don't need a shiney car, I don't need a three course meal every night. The people that matter most to me don't see it anyway.

My babies will only be babies for such a short time. They grow up SO fast and I want to enjoy every. single. second. of it.

Lullabye, rockabye lullabye loo. 

4 comments:

  1. Check out my blog. The last photo I posted on one of my postings is an excerpt from this poem.

    Problem is... the word "tomorrow" is spelled incorrectly on the thing I bought with the poem and it's ALL I see when I read it hahahahahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was feeling so much like this yesterday. We are moving in a week and I was flipping out because there was so much to do. In the end, I took dd to starbucks and we had a "date" To heck w/ the packing I know it will get done and she needed mommy time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this poem, and like I said in my comment on your lack of domestication skillz post, I totally agree that the dust bunnies can wait - and you should spend as much time possible snuggling your babies. <3

    ReplyDelete

Leave Mama some comment love! I always try to pay a visit back!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover